Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tangier 2007 - 2008


For two weeks In November 2007 I went to Tangier, invited by french writer Marine Vassort and Marseille publisher P'tits Papiers, I was expected to produce illustrations for a book about young women escaping Morocco from Tangier to Europe. The project was social and political to start with but very quickly our chances to meet this women was scarce, and I decided to depict my vision of Tangier from the house we were in. The house was in the middle of the Kasbah just above the main fountain in the centre of a lively street. From the house itself my vision was interrupted by the metal grids, but from the terrace at the top of the house I could see the entire city and the colourful life existing on the terraced roofs of Tangier. During my stay I created 8 diary pages made with watercolour and pencil (A3), 10 sketches for future paintings (A4), three watercolors (20cmx20cm), an oil pastel night scene and took many photos. 
When I got back to France I decided that I would paint from the pencil drawings and prepare an exhibition on Tangier for Doun, a gallery in the south of France that had already exhibited my drawings and diaries about Reykjavik (Iceland) in 1996. Unfortunately the paper book of my illustrations and text by Marine Vassort never came out after Ptits Papiers had to close their publishing company. But in 2010 Marine Vassort successfully created an online book Bruleuse of both our works.

Grace a l'invitation en Novembre 2007 de Marine Vassort et des Editions P'tits Papiers, j'ai passé dix jours dans la ville magnifique de Tanger au coeur de la Kasbah pour réaliser des illustrations sur les jeunes femmes tentant de passer en Europe depuis la ville portuaire. De cette residence est ne un journal de bord, des aquarelles, des dessins au trait ainsi que des photos qui sont aujourd'hui visible dans le livre web : Bruleuses. Le livre et les illustrations sont devenues le recueil d'une vision de deux femmes au coeur de la Kasbah noyees par les sons, les images et les mots. En 2008 a eu lieu une exposition de l'ensemble du travail en peintures dessins et carnets a la galerie Doun qui avait expose mes carnets sur Rekjavik en 1996.




No comments:

Post a Comment